Updated at: Saturday Feb. 2, 2019 at 12:54 PM
WVU to cancel classes as snow and frigid temperatures persist
West Virginia University’s Morgantown campus, including WVU Research Corp., will remain closed today (Feb. 1) until 5 p.m. when normal operations will resume. Classes are canceled today.
University officials continue to closely monitor reports from the National Weather Service. The latest update indicated snowfall lasting longer than originally predicted in the Morgantown area and higher total accumulations.
Roadways remain ice and snow covered in many areas with numerous accidents reported.
“The safety of our students, faculty and staff is paramount,” University Police Chief W.P. Chedester. “We encourage them to stay off the roads if possible to allow the Division of Highways and other emergency crews the best opportunity to treat roadways as conditions slowly improve.”
Some essential WVU services – facility maintenance, snow removal, dining services, safety/security, etc. – will need to continue operations. Employees in those units should report to work as they are able. Essential employees should work with their supervisors to take annual leave or flex their schedule if they are unable to get to work. Supervisors are asked to be flexible and understanding with their direct reports if they are unable to make it to work.
The Mountainlair and Student Rec Center will be open. Most Dining operations are operating normally. Libraries will reopen Saturday at 10 a.m. The Carruth Center will remain closed but is always available for emergencies by calling 304.293.4431.
The PRT and buses will operate on a normal schedule beginning at 10:30 a.m.
Creative Arts Center evening events will continue as scheduled.
WVU students and employees should watch for these updates through a variety of outlets including: WVU Alert system, MIX email and Unews, students.wvu.edu, MOUNTAINEER E-News and enews.wvu.edu and social media channels such as @WestVirginiaU on Twitter or WVUMountaineerson Facebook, etc.
WVU Extension Service will follow its internal inclement weather policy, which can be found at https://employees.extension.wvu.edu/human-resources/current-employees/inclement-weather.
This site is intended to inform the WVU community about emergencies occurring on the Morgantown campus. In the event of an emergency:
- Up to date information will be posted on this web page.
- The University also will communicate with employees and students via messages to official WVU e-mail addresses.
- Information will be provided to print, broadcast and web-based media outlets.
- Families receiving Parent Electronic News will be notified.
Reporting an Emergency
In the event of an emergency please follow these steps:
- Call 911 (9-911 from campus phones) for any situation that requires immediate police, fire, or medical response to preserve life or property.
- Use any of the outdoor blue tower emergency phones to report a campus emergency. Just pick up the receiver and press the button on the front center panel. Campus Police may be reached at (304) 293-COPS (2677)
Important Phone Numbers
- 911 (9-911 from campus phones)
- Department of Public Safety/ Campus Police: (304) 293-COPS (2677)
- Environmental Health and Safety: (304) 293-3792
- Health Sciences Safety Office: (304) 293-4115
- Carruth Center for Counseling and Psychological Services: (304) 293-6997
- Faculty-Staff Assistance Program: (304) 293-5590
- Parents Club Hotline: (800) 988-0096
- Student Health Service: (304) 285-7200
In the event of emergencies involving WVU students, students and parents should contact the Office of Campus and Community Life at (304) 293-5611.
If the emergency occurs outside normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:15 am – 4:45 pm), please call the Department of Public Safety at (304) 293-3136 where someone is on call 24 hours a day.